Brite Divinity School educates and inspires people to serve God's diverse world as leaders in churches, the academy, and public life.
Joretta Marshall is Professor of Pastoral Theology and Care at Brite Divinity School. Prior to joining the faculty at Brite, she taught at Vanderbilt University Divinity School, Iliff School of Theology, and Eden Seminary, where she was also Academic Dean. Dr. Marshall has served as one of the Co-Editors for the Journal of Pastoral Theology, a publication supported by the Society for Pastoral Theology, and is currently on the editorial board for Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling. She is the author of Counseling Lesbian Partners and Why Should I Forgive?, is the co-editor of Forgiveness and Abuse: Jewish and Christian Reflections.”(with Marie Fortune), and The Formation of Pastoral Counselors: Challenges and Opportunities (with Duane Bidwell), along with a number of articles in professional and church-related journals. She is a past President of the American Association of Pastoral Counselors. She is ordained as an Elder in the United Methodist Church and holds membership in the Mountain Sky Conference.
DegreesPh.D., Vanderbilt University, 1992
M.A., Vanderbilt University, 1989
M.Div., Iliff School of Theology, 1980
B.A,. Westmar College, 1976
ReligionUnited Methodist Church
- Clinical Pastoral Education
- Forgiveness, Justice and Community in Pastoral Theology and Pastoral Care
- Historical and Contemporary Perspectives in Pastoral Theology, Care and Counseling
- Sexuality and Pastoral Practice
- The Ministry of Pastoral Care
- Practicing Care in Rural Congregations and Communities. with Jeanne Hoeft and Shannon Jung. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2013
- The Formation of Pastoral Counselors : Challenges and Opportunities Binghamton, NY: Haworth Pastoral Press, 2006
- How Can I Forgive? : A Study in Forgiveness Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2005
- Forgiveness and Abuse: Jewish and Christian Reflections Binghamton, NY: Haworth Pastoral Press, 2002
- Counseling Lesbian Partners Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1997
Journal Articles, Book Chapters and Book Reviews
- “Pastoral Care and Sexual Ethics.” In Professional Sexual Ethics: A Holistic Ministry Approach. Eds: Patricia Beattie Jung and Darryl W. Stephens. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2013: 101-111.
- “The Politics of Apology and Forgiveness.” Pastoral Psychology, Published online, New York: Springer, November 2013.
- “Pastoral Perspectives” for Matthew 24:29-41 and Matthew 24:42-51. Feasting on the Gospel, Matthew, Volume 2: A Feasting on the Word Commentary, Eds. Cynthia A. Jarvis and E. Elizabeth Johnson. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2013.
- "A Perspective on Pastoral Theology, Care, and Counseling in the United States." In Nachdenkliche Seelsorge - seelsorgliches Nachdenken: Festschrift für Christoph Morgenthaler zum 65. Geburtstag, edited by Isabelle Noth and Ralph Kunz. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2012.
- Co-authored with Stephen Olson, “Psychotic Disorders: Pastoral Responses to Persons with Schizophrenia and their Families." In Ministry with Persons with Mental Illness and their Families, edited by Robert Albers, William Meller and Steven D. Thurber, 59-82. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2012.
- "Collaborative Generativity: The What, Who, and How of Supervision in a Modern/Postmodern Context." Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 2011: 151-165.
- “Pro-active Intercultural Pastoral Care and Counseling with Lesbian Women and Gay Men, Pastoral Psychology, (59/4) Spring 2010: 423-432.
American Association of Pastoral Counselors
Society for Pastoral Theology
Association of Theological Schools
Wabash Consultant on Teaching and Learning
Reconciling Ministries Network Board of Directors
American Academy of Religion
International Association of Practical Theology